Industry 4.0 is a common term for the technologies and concepts which are constructing a new, revolutionary composition of the value chain for products and services. With the help of the technological concepts of cyber-physical systems, the Internet of Things and the Internet of Services, the philosophy of Industry 4.0 makes the creation of the so-called “smart factories” finally possible. In these Factories 4.0, the cyber-physical systems keep track of the physical processes, support the digital twins of the whole manufacturing system and make decentralized decisions. Moreover, with the Internet of Services, all types of communication among the participants in the process are organized and managed in a unified system.
The main goal of Industry 4.0 is to make manufacturing and those industries related to it (e.g. logistics) faster, more efficient and more client-oriented. This transition is much more than simply an automation and optimization of processes. Industry 4.0 is a powerful instrument for the creation of new business opportunities and models. In this revolutionary time, with the connectivity of technologies, our fantasy becomes the only setback to creating one-of-a-kind manufacturing systems.
The key advantages of Industry 4.0 are:
- Enhanced productivity through optimization and automation
- Real-time data, used in a real-time supply chain, for a real-time economy
- The opportunity for an uninterrupted manufacturing process through expanded maintenance and monitoring possibilities
- Higher product quality: real-time monitoring, improved quality-control processes thanks to the Internet of Things, as well as an optimized work force with the help of cobots
- Better working conditions and sustainable growth
- Easy personalization and product customization according to the evolving needs of the clients
- Effortless creation of new manufacturing processes and innovative products, as well as the possibility to explore brand new, alternative ways of reaping financial profits
You can read more about the first steps and the benefits of implementing Industry 4.0 in our whitebook “Industry 4.0 – on the verge of the fourth industrial revolution”.